Photobucket
HEY, WE'RE ON ITUNES. Click on our picture to subscribe!

HEY, WE'RE ALSO ON TWITTER! Follow us at www.twitter.com/rockonfootball OR JUST SCROLL DOWN!


CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF DOC AND TBONE? GO TO ROCKONFOOTBALL.LEXY.COM AND YOU CAN GET DAILY PODCASTS SENT TO YOUR EMAIL, OR PHONE!

NEED AN RSS FEED FOR YOUR PHONE, HERE IT IS: WWW.ROCKONFOOTBALL.PODBEAN.COM/FEED

TBONE'S GOD STUFF HAS MOVED!

For TBone's blog on living out Jesus's life to the full go to: www.tonyhoby.blogspot.com

November 7, 2010

ALL I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FOOTBALL....I LEARNED IN WEEK NINE!

For the first time this year I had the chance to sit down and watch football. So, instead of my weekly review, endulge me as I reflect on the Sunday that I've dreamed about since Week One!
    
     Have you been there? You're looking forward to going somewhere, but you promised something to your kids? So, as the Bears have first and goal at the end of the first quarter, we are walking into McDonalds. But, after what seemed like an eternity, we finished out Happy Meals and were on our way to the Brosts - home of the Sunday NFL Ticket!
     All the kids went upstairs, all of us were downstairs as Jay Cutler led the Bears to a come from behind victory sealed by a great defensive play from our "brother" Henry Melton! Obviously, some trash talking was flying as Earl Bennet was dominating Doc's pick for the 44 ounce wager, Lee Evans! Doc and I both looked on in amazement as Seyi Ajirotutu went off for 111 and 2TD's! We'd go back and forth to see Tampa come back - and have a sharp pain hit my heart when I see Mike Williams has 89 yards and a TD, when I sat him for Larry Fitz and Miles Austin!
    In fact, I notice myself giving an inordinate amount of attention to the score ticker, hoping that each 7 for Arizona or San Diego was Beanie or Matthews (it wasn't!). Then, my heart breaks as I see Aaron Hernandez has 2 touchdowns (he was sitting on the Waiver Wire as I played Zach Miller).
    However, along with the side of my brain that was totally focused on the fantasy implications of the day's action, my other side wa marvelling at what was happening during Week Nine....from a real football standpoint!
    Cleveland was destroying New England which prompted a call from my Brown's buddy! Minnesota looks like Minnesota and comes back on the Cardinals. Lions / Jets. It's almost like one T.V. is not enough. Actually, as the Giants were destroying the Seahawks, we complained about only having two afternoon games to watch.
     But, man, in one of them, Mike Vick is so fun to see. There are not many NFL players that I'd tune into a game just to watch them. He's one of them! It's so fun to see what's going to happen when he has the ball - especially when he's on your fantasy team! Even as we go to Abuelo's for dinner, I've got KC / Oakland bonus time after Vick and the Eagles narrowly escape. That game gets crazy as Jason Campbell makes a beautiful pass to set up the game winning field goal.
     I think I've had enough football after that, until I get home and my wife needs the computer - I write this as I'm sitting in my basement watching Aaron Rodgers carve up the Dallas secondary.
It really was an awesome Sunday, but it wasn't the highlight of my weekend! On Friday, I went to a ladies house to watch a DVD about a farmer who did some radical things for God. It inspired me! On Saturday, we did our first live radio show. Actual people actually called in with actual fantasy questions. That was a ton of fun! It was the first time I've been nervous in a while - and it felt good! Then, on Sunday, we taught the kids at church, and I got that "God is really doing something" feeling!
     What I'm saying is this: Sunday was awesome! But so was Friday and Saturday and Sunday morning! Football on Sunday is something that added to a wonderful time, but it was not the goal! It was not what I looked forward to all week! Sunday was a great Sabbath, with great people and great time spent just hanging out!
     For the first time in a while, I didn't treat NFL Sunday like it was God! And I think that's why I enjoyed it so much! It's weird, I spent my Sunday doing what I've dreamed of ever since Week One, and what I realized was the thing that made it so special is what usually distracts me from doing it in the first place.
     So, thanks to the Brosts, and thanks to my bro for giving me a great time! And thanks to God for reminding me that there are other awesome things out there besides just football!

No comments:

Post a Comment